SON Formula® and Weight Control
Caution: Consult your physician before starting
any weight loss program or physical activity
SON Formula® is a dietary protein substitute that provides the Master Amino Acid Pattern (U.S. Patent No. 5,132,113) a unique pattern of essential amino acids in a highly purified, free and crystalline form.
Clinical studies have shown that, during a well balanced weight loss diet, SON Formula® can substitute dietary proteins or protein supplements, in an easier, safer and nutritionally more effective way.
In fact, the use of SON Formula® may prevent some adverse reactions commonly associated with weight loss diets such as:
- muscle loss
- flabby tissue
- weakened immune system
- decreased libido
- regaining of lost weight after diet conclusion ( yo-yo effect ).
Why do most weight loss diets fail?
Most weight loss diets fail due to the following misconceptions:
- Overweight has been erroneously attributed only to a body’s positive energy balance. As a result, weight loss diets or treatments have focused on decreasing calories (energy) intake by either:
- Reducing appetite;
- Reducing absorption of nutrients; or
- Reducing ingestion of food.
As a result, most weight loss diets or treatments have ignored the fact that these procedures may be life threatening. Why? Because by reducing the calories (energy) intake, they also reduce the intake of essential nutrients indispensable to maintain a healthy and productive life.
- Weight loss diets have focused on maintaining a negative energy balance. However, they ignored the fact that a negative energy balance activates the Negative Energy Balance Cycle (NEBC), a physiological cycle, which acts as a homeostatic (self-preserving) response aimed:
- At preventing dehydration by increasing the Antidiuretic Hormone (ADH) and the Aldosterone Hormone secretions. As a result, excessive water and sodium retention may occur.
- At preserving fat tissue by decreasing, within a 24-hour period, body metabolism, until the energy balance reaches equilibrium. As a result, fat tissue catabolism (breakdown) may halt.
- metabolism may lower
- fat tissue catabolism may halt
- excessive water and sodium retention may occur
As a consequence:
Therefore, body weight may remain unchanged or increase. Hunger, weakness, hypoglycemia, or decreased libido may occur.
- Weight loss diets often provide insufficient protein intake (in quantity or quality). As a result, a negative nitrogen balance (NNB) is achieved. This activates the Negative Nitrogen Balance Cycle (NNBC). As a result:
- The amount of body constituent proteins decreases. Namely, the living cells that comprise the muscles, organs, skeleton, etc. This may cause muscle loss that may leave an empty space between the muscle and the skin, thus causing flabby and sagging skin. At the same time, a loss of the skin’s normal firmness and texture may worsen flabbiness.
- The osmotic pressure in the bloodstream decreases. As a result, an excess of water and sodium, which should be eliminated through diuresis (urination) is retained.
Therefore, body weight may remain unchanged or increase. Muscle loss, flabby tissue, weakened immune system, hunger, weakness, or decreased libido may also occur. Furthermore, once the diet concludes, and the nutritional habits are reassumed, the lost weight may be regained (yo-yo effect).
Why, during a weight loss diet, is the use of SON Formula® easier, safer and nutritionally more effective compared to dietary proteins or protein supplements?
SON Formula® provides a Body Protein Synthesis over minute (BPS/ min) of 99% NNU/ 23 min. By comparison dietary proteins and protein supplements provide a BPS/min of 16-32% NNU/180-360 minutes. This means that the BPS/min of dietary proteins and protein supplements is 24 to 96 times lower compared to SON Formula®.
Therefore, by using SON Formula®:
- Muscle loss may be prevented. Thus avoiding flabby and saggy skin.
- Loss of skin’s firmness and normal texture may be prevented. Thus avoiding flabby and saggy skin.
- The adequate osmotic pressure in the bloodstream may be maintained or reestablished. Thus, excessive water and sodium retention may be prevented. Therefore, weight loss may be optimized.
- Calorie intake may be minimized. SON Formula® provides only 0.04 Kcal/g. Thus, weight loss may be optimized.
- The regaining of weight lost may be avoided (yo-yo effect). Thus, weight loss may be optimized.
- Digestion may be easier and faster. SON Formula® is absorbed in the small intestine within 23 minutes from its ingestion. By comparison, dietary proteins and protein supplements need from 3 to 6 hours to be digested. This means that dietary proteins and protein supplements digestion period is 6 to 12 times longer compared to SON Formula®. Thus, quality of life may be improved.
- A weakened immune system caused by a NNB may be prevented. Thus avoiding an increased risk for infections.
- Anomalies commonly associated with most weight loss diets, such as hunger, weakness or decreased libido, may be prevented. Thus, quality of life may be improved.
- The overloading of the liver and kidneys functions may be prevented. SON FORMULA® releases only 1% nitrogen catabolites (metabolic toxic waste). By comparison, dietary proteins and protein supplements release an average of 68-84% nitrogen catabolites. This means a release of 68 to 84 times more metabolic toxic waste compared to SON Formula®. Thus, quality of life may be improved.
Information on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use this information for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, consult your health care provider. Information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Customer reviews are provided for informational purposes. Customer reviews only reflect the individual reviewer's experiences and are not verified or endorsed.
Physicians' Desk Reference® is a registered trademark of Thomson Healthcare Inc.